Are you planning a vacation to Mexico? Here are 18 things you probably didn’t know about Mexico. No. 11 will surprise you and make you want to retire in Mexico.
1. Mexico’s full name is the United Mexican States (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)
2. In total area, Mexico is the fifth largest country in the Americas and the 13th largest independent nation in worldwide.
3. Mexico’s population is more 113 million making it the most populated spanish speaking country in the world.
4. The Olmec, the Toltec, the Teotihuacan, the Zapotec, the Maya and the Aztec ruled Mexico long before the country’s first contact with the Spanish conquistadores .
5. Mexico’s economy is among the largest in the world.
6. Mexico is the world’s tenth largest oil producer.
7. It is the largest silver producer in the world.
8. According to the number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites found in Mexico, the country ranks sixth in the world.
9. Spanish is Mexico’s most widely spoken language, but did you know that there are 68 officially recognized Mexican indigenous languages.
10. Geographically, Mexico forms part of north America.
11. The oldest woman in Mexico claims to be 127 years old, which would make her the oldest living person if they could find her birth certificate!
12. At one point in history, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and California were all all part of Mexican Spanish colony.
13. Chocolate, chilies, and corn originated in Mexico
14. The border between Mexico and USA is the second largest political border in the world, second only to the USA / Canadian border.
15. Mexico City was constructed by the Spanish over the ruins of a great Aztec city, Tenochtitlán.
16. Mexico City is sinking at a rate of 6 to 8 inches a year because it was built on the site of a large lake.
17. Mexico was a Spanish colony for 300 years until the Mexican battle for independence in September 16 1810.
18. The most common surname in Mexico according to the National Electoral Institute (INE) is Hernández, followed by de García and Martínez, The most common name being Juan Hernández.